In this article, we are going to cover how to add categories in WordPress. But first, I think you should understand what a category is.
In WordPress, a category is a way of organizing and grouping posts that share a common topic or theme. Categories allow you to classify your posts based on their content and make it easier for your readers to find the posts that interest them, so categories are a vital piece to organize posts on your blog.
For example, if you have a blog about food, you might create categories such as “Recipes,” “Restaurant Reviews,” and “Healthy Eating.” When you publish a new post, you can assign it to one or more categories based on its content.
WordPress allows you to create an unlimited number of categories, and you can also create subcategories to further organize your posts. Categories can be customized with descriptions, slugs (short URLs), and even icons.
Categories are an important part of WordPress because they help make your site more organized and user-friendly. By using categories effectively, you can help your readers find the content they’re looking for and improve the overall user experience of your site.
NOTE: Looking for more WordPress Guides? Check out more below.
Are WordPress Categories Important?
WordPress categories are important for several reasons.
- Organizing your content: Categories help you organize your posts into specific topics or themes, making it easier for your readers to find what they’re looking for.
- Improving site navigation: Categories can be used in your site’s menu or sidebar to help visitors quickly navigate to specific topics or types of content.
- Improving SEO: Categories can help search engines understand the structure of your site and the topics you cover, which can improve your site’s search engine rankings.
- Encouraging readers to explore your site: By grouping your content into categories, you can encourage readers to explore other related posts on your site, which can increase engagement and time on site.
In short, WordPress categories are an important tool for organizing and presenting your content in a way that is user-friendly and accessible to both your readers and search engines. By using categories effectively, you can help improve the overall user experience of your site and increase engagement with your content.
How To Add Categories In WordPress
In the step below, we will cover how to add categories in WordPress to your posts.
- First, you will need to log in to your WordPress account and go to the Dashboard.
- Click on Posts and then Categories will appear under it; go ahead and click that.
- On the Categories page, you will see a form to add a new category. Enter the name of your category, a slug (a short URL-friendly name for the category), and a description (optional).
- Click on the Add New Category button to save the category.
- You can also create sub-categories within existing categories. To do this, simply select the parent category from the Parent Category drop-down menu while creating a new category.
- Once you’ve created your categories, you can assign them to your posts. When creating a new post or editing an existing one, you will see a Categories box on the right-hand side of the screen. Simply check the box next to the category you want to assign the post to, and click the Update or Publish button to save your changes.
WordPress categories are a way of organizing your posts into specific topics or themes, making it easier for your readers to find what they’re looking for. Categories improve site navigation, SEO, and encourage readers to explore related content on your site. By using categories effectively, you can help improve the overall user experience of your site and increase engagement with your content.
We just covered how to add categories in WordPress and why they are so important to have. Let us know in the comments below if you have any other questions, thanks and hope this helped!